Wednesday, June 15, 2011

In Limbo... so let me use your house

 I am, what I like to call "in Limbo" in life.  I moved across the country a year and a half ago. Just packed up my SUV with as much as the Space Saver Bags would allow me to, and trekked 3,400 miles from Virginia to Seattle.  I am in transition right now as I decide where to go from here; as here, doesn't seem to be right for me.

 I attribute this to the severe lack of family in my constant presence. ....... and dammit it rains too much.


Anyway, so I am getting ready to move, again stuffing that same SUV with a "new and improved" batch of Space Saver bags.. wish me luck.. as last time the bags re-inflated mid trip.

3" QUEEN sized Memory Foam Mattress Topper Before and After
But seriously? These things are amazing. Just look at this  ^ ^ ^

All this to say, I still have that itch to create, so I have this ... convenient habit of doing my creating at my friends houses.  I am the first to volunteer for any sort of painting, de-wallpapering, and well any way I can get my crafty little fingers in the mix.

I have this inability to buy overpriced products to do a task which can be completed... at no cost.  I mean, maybe it's just me, but my wallet isn't large enough to succumb to pointless purchases. A year or so ago, I was helping a friend redecorate her living and bath.  There was this terrible wallpaper left from too many seasons past, and she had purchased a Wallpaper Removing Kit.

Now... you would think this would make the removing job easier, and I was quite interested in trying it out.

So the process is this:
With a provided tool, you score the wallpaper.  The kit we choose scored it in a flurry of circles as you moved it up and down.  I was instantly nervous... I don't wish to remove wallpaper in a fashion of peeled off polka dots, yet that's exactly what we did.  After scoring, you spray this solution that is supposed to soak down in to the adhesive so it is 'easy' to peel off. Easy........ uhhhh no.  I don't know how long the three of us were crammed in that little bathroom peeling and scraping and scoring and muttering under our breath, but we eventually, tiresomely, and without a doubt fffffinallllly finished.

A month or so ago a different friend needed to de-wallpaper her kitchen. OOH! Memememe! Yes, even after the nightmare in the bathroom I still wanted to have a go.  Though this time I called my momma.  "Momma, good God, please tell me you have some tips and tricks for dewallpapering". Her response? Fill a spray bottle with warm water. DON'T score.  Just spray it, no... soak it, and wait.
Before we had the patience to let it soak.
So we started off spraying and scraping, but it began a tedious task of peeling off tiny pieces.. which is definitely not the desired effect.  I went ahead and sprayed the work space ahead, then sprayed it again.. waited a bit and sprayed it again. And to my surprise, I peeled off the most wonderous sheet of wallpaper I could have hoped for.  Now this isn't a magic make it fast trick here, you still have plenty of peeling and scraping to do, but this was without a dime spent, and much muCH MUCH easier, and faster, and did I mention thriftier?? You just keep spraying and keep soaking, it will peel right off. Now I used a knife to get my sheets started (I'm an avid nail biter.. 'nuff said), but I would imagine a putty knife might be a safer bet if you... you know.. are like me (avid nail biter).

So, the moral of this story? Don't buy the Wallpaper Remover Kit.  Just empty out a Windex bottle (or in my case Giddy Up 409) and go to town!

See the joyous expression! Much better now!!!
Oh... and if you live in the area and need some painting, refinishing, grouting work done, pick me pick me!

No comments:

Post a Comment