Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Random Tips and Tricks I have up my sleeve

Prevent Freezer Burnt Ice Cream:

Sometimes there is a really fantastic flavor of ice cream you just want to savor.  And by savor I mean draw out the consumption process as long as possible to extend out your continual level of happiness.  The downside to this is that nasty crystallized mess at collects on top of the delicacy beneath.  Solution: cut out a small piece of wax paper and press against the remaining ice cream. Voila! (plastic wrap would work as well).

Transporting a big knife (you know, to a picnic):


So I spent the 4th of July in Idaho on the lake in the sun.  I had this brilliant idea to cut a whole in a watermelon and pour watermelon schnapps inside. So we are about to go out on the boat, and I didn't want to carry the watermelon down to the dock dripping everywhere so I grabbed the melon and grabbed a knife and out I went. Safety first of course, so I wrapped the knife in a clump of aluminum foil and threw it in my bag.  Now of course, this IS NOT fool proof, but it did cover the sharp edges, and made it substantially safer to transport.

Watermelon Bomb:
Cut a square hole out of a watermelon about 1"
Insert bottle of your favorite alcohol, I stuck with the safe and pansy Watermelon Schnapps
(you can either pour it until full then wait and continue the process, or if you are craft enough for it to drain slowly direct from the bottle then YAY for you!).
Keep the square you cut out so you can replug your hole.
..replug the hole.  I covered the plug and hole with duct tape to prevent leaking since I was on a boat.
Every so often remove tape and plug and fill with more alcohol.
The longer you soak it in the better.
Slice and enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
I did some googling and found an excellent take on this idea... though her way seems a bit messier..
http://islandvittles.com/2010/07/11/sunday-lunch-vodka-infused-watermelon/

Traveling with Jewelry:

You know, Tin Foil is the most amazing creation in the world.. I'm pretty sure... well, I guess except for the Honey Lavender Ice Cream they are serving at the delicious Ice Creamery down the street. Anyway, so I have an abundance of jewelry (all costume cheapo stuff of course), and I have this OCD with being extremely color coordinated, so you can imagine I'm a severe over packer.  So I have always had a dilemma with transporting my necklaces and came up with the brilliant idea one day of laying out a piece of foil, then laying all of my necklaces about an inch or so apart then folding the necklace and foil over the next necklace and foil, until I reach the end.  Are you picturing it? Essentially it becomes a foil roll of beauty.

So it stinks doesn't it?

So vinegar is another one of those miracle products you know?  Anyway, Vinegar does lots of crafty things.  Like you can pour it in to a dye bath and your color will adhere better.  But better yet, you know when your towels sometimes start to smell like mildew?  Maybe you have bad air circulation in the bathroom, or maybe you didn't hang it up and let it fester in a damp state (tsk tsk). Anyway, there is hope!  You can throw all those towels in the bathtub with hot water and a TON of regular ol white vinegar (they sell it cheap in the big gallon size bottle).  Let it sit a bit and transfer them all to the washing machine and wash as usual.  Another alternative is to just dump several cups of vinegar directly in to the washing machine itself and run a load as usual, although it just works better to let it soak in the tub.  You can do this every once and a while but it does last pretty well!

Another thing you can do with vinegar:

Let's say you have a smokers or pet odor problem, perhaps the room with the kitty litter? Vinegar is a neutralizer, so if you pour vinegar in a bowl and set the bowl (somewhere safe) in the room for a few hours the odor will soak in to the vinegar.  What you'll notice is the vinegar will start to reek! haha, but it removes the odor from the room!  Granted you'll be smelling vinegar for a while, but removing the odor instead of masking it is always a plus.

And of course you have the other fantastic uses of vinegar:
-some plants thrive on acidic soil, like Azaleas, mix some vinegar in with water when watering them.
-other plants choke on vinegar (great for killing weeds, spray on full strength on sidewalks and driveways, just be careful it will kill the other plants as well.
-Fresh cut flowers? Add 2 tbsp of vinegar and one teaspoon of sugar to the vase
-Ants HATE vinegar (and cinnamon).. I'm just sayin
-Itchy skin, bug bites? Add a few tablespoons to bath water, for bug bites soak a cotton ball and apply driectly
-APPLE CIDER VINEGAR is a miracle 'feel better' aide.  Great for the flu, the cold, and curbing appetite

Ok enough about vinegar..

DROWNING IN CLUB CARDS!!!

So maybe you are like me, maybe you're not.  But if you are, you don't carry around a purse because you have an irrational fear of your shoulder falling off (fear created from too many years of BIG bags being in style, allowing me to store my entire apartment in my purse), anyway needless to say my little coin purse containing my DL, cash and Debit card gets full reeeeaaaallll fast, too fast to be carrying around the endless number of club cards I was toting around.  Check out this site: http://www.justoneclubcard.com/ to have up to 8 different club cards combined in to just one.  It's brilliant.

Ready to up and have a sex change because you can't find a bra that fits?

I know.. this seems quite rash, however after many many many shopping trips ending in frustration over Muffin Top Breasts I put my tail between my legs and headed to Nordstrom's.  Now I am NOT a big advocate of overpriced brands.  In fact I generally steer clear. It kind of goes against my spending the least amount as humanly possible gene, however bras are where I finally drew the line.  Perhaps you are lucky and any ol' bra at Target or Penny's will fit you fine.  Great, Fantastic, RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YOU?  However, if you are frustrated, and plane old tired of trying on the 6 at a time limit of bras everywhere you go, then truck yourself on over to Nordstrom's.

Here is my experience.  I enter Nordstrom's and make a beeline for the escalator up to the third floor... trying to avoid eye contact from any salesperson passerby.  Successfully make to the the unmentionables section and sigh a bout of relief.  I am almost instantly approached by a cheery, cushy, red headed helper asking what it is I am looking for.  I don't beat around the bush here and just say "UGHHHHW WAAAAAA WOAH IS ME I CAN'T FIND A BRA BLAHHHHHHHHH" .. or maybe it was more like "uhhh you know I'm just real frustrated with the lack of bras that fit my obviously odd shaped womanhood".. Red head chuckles and says well, lets get you fitted and I'll bring some options to you. That's it. No looking around on my part at all, just headed in to the fitting room.  Remove my clothes (FYI, don't wear a dress when you go.. and DEFINITELY don't wear a thong.  WHOOPS!). And she measures me up, now some of you might get the heebie jeebies over the thought of this. Suck it up. Do you want a bra that fits or not?  It's just boobies. ;)
Anway, she departs my fitting room and I stand here half neked awaiting her return.. I'm staring in the mirror wondering if it's broken or if I really have gained some wait, when she returns with her arms full of an array of bras. I try on a few she takes a look we discuss the pros and cons, she takes some bras out and brings a different batch in. Over and over, I must have tried on the whole store I was so excited they were fitting!  So I GUESSSS I have to admit that sometimes paying more is worth it.  I ended up only leaving with two.. because they are balls expensive, though I happily would have left with my own arm full.  But the moral of the story, get your boobies measured and get yourself a quality bra.
SAVE THE TATA'S!

Anyway, I suppose that is good for now, I'll have to compile a list next time as I complete odd tips and tricks I do, it's hard to be put on the spot you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment